For as long as I can remember I have always needed a good night’s sleep – 8hrs at least. Those who know me well will confirm that on the odd occasion I don’t, I’m a very, very tetchy so and so!!
Everyone knows sleep is essential for good health, it refreshes the mind and repairs the body. Lack of sleep can cause fatigue, mood changes as well as problems with concentration, memory and coordination – sound familiar?
So here are my top tips, in no particular order.
- Say no to caffeine after midday. You might be surprised to know that caffeine can cause sleep problems up to ten to twelve hours after drinking it! Consider eliminating caffeine after lunch or cutting back your overall intake … I gave up coffee 20yrs ago – I still love the aroma but love sleep more.
- Watch the sun set… simple but very effective, the subtle changes in the light as the sun sets tells the brain it’s time to go to sleep. It must hark back to a less complicated age, or some time in our pre-history, when the setting of the sun heralded the end of another day’s work and the comfort of a good night’s sleep in a warm, cosy ‘Blakelow’ bed.
- Most people know (but choose to ignore) that using electronic gadgets such as a television, computer, video game, or cell phone, within the last hour before going to bed will inhibit sleep. The light from these devices stimulates the brain, making it harder to wind down. Put your gadgets away an hour before bedtime to fall asleep more quickly and sleep more soundly…this is why we don’t have TVs in our cottage bedrooms.
- A scent to lull you to sleep…Relaxing scents such as lavender is brilliant for soothing your Kalma – lavender is part of the mint family. Its aroma has been shown to slow down heart rate, slow blood pressure and relax you. For me, it reminds me of holidays in the Med, so instantly lifts my spirits and relaxes me.
- Lastly, and the most obvious one is to book a Blakelow cottage and experience all of the above… well we would say that wouldn’t we – but it’s not just us, our guests tell us they are so relaxed, and sleep so well here. We never disagree with our guests …