Cromford is a former mill village just down the hill from Blakelow. In June each year the village holds the Celebrating Cromford festival.
This year’s festival will take place over the weekend 12th to 14th June, and feature many, many fun events including:
- Dancing Dogs
- Dale Diva
- Hands on Science
- Open Gardens
- Cromford’s racing ducks
- Pudding competition … … and much more!
Cromford is a fascinating little place to spend time – you could visit:
Arkwright’s Mill – as featured on the BBC’s programme Restoration. The original Cromford mill of Sir Richard Arkwright – with a museum, shops, cafe, events, etc.
Masson Mills – now a “retail outlet” with a terrific museum showing the history of Arkwright’s factory mill.
Cromford Canal – built in the 1700’s to transport coal, cotton and lead now being restored. It’s a lovely place to:
- Walk – walk along the tow path to High Peak Junction Workshops or the Leawood Pumping House
- Cycle trail – you can ride along the tow path and onto the High Peak Trail (though this is not for the faint hearted climbing about 300m in around 8 km) towards Middleton Top
- … or if you fancy something less energetic – try a Boat ride along the canal!
- And of course drink coffee in the cafe!
Scarthin Books – magical book shop with a fab veggie cafe!
There are lots of other shops and eateries for you to explore … as well as the glorious surrounding countryside.