So when does spring start – after years of thinking it had to be the 20th March (or thereabouts) using the Astronomical Seasons. I now find that if I use the Meteorological calendar it can start on the 1st March… yippee say I!
So in the world of Blakelow spring will start this Sunday – the only downside as far as I can see is that the ‘spring cleaning’ will start earlier!!
The good news is that by using this method Spring will start on 1st March and end on the 31st May which means that Summer will also start earlier – the 1st June… again yippee!
I just hope that the sun is listening! Although I have to say the gardens and grounds are ‘awash’ with snowdrops and we have our first daffodil in bloom. This is really early for us especially as we’ve had more than our fair share of snow this year – i I remember right in 2012 we still had daffodils out in May!
So which would you prefer the Meteorological or Astronomical Seasons?
Northern Hemisphere 2015 Meteorological Seasons
- Spring: 1 March to 31 May
- Summer: 1 June to 31 August
- Autumn: 1 September to 30 November
- Winter: 1 December to 28 February
Northern Hemisphere 2015 Astronomical Seasons
- Spring: 21 March to 20 June
- Summer: 21 June to 20 September
- Autumn: 21 September to 20 December
- Winter: 21 December to 20 March