Our Disability Access statement has been developed utilising:
- The Enjoy England National Accessibility Scheme
- The Disability Rights Commission Publication
- The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 – Rights of access to goods, facilities, services and premises.
“At Blakelow Farm Holiday Cottages we recognise that equality, fair treatment, social inclusion and access is a basic right for all those with sensory, mental and physical disabilities. We strive to ensure we deliver services that are accessible to all groups in the community. We are committed to eliminating discrimination by actively seeking to overcome current difficulties in accessing our services.”
We recognise that our accommodation is not ideal, we do not have any premises with ground floor bedrooms. Our décor may not be ideal for the visually impaired in all cottages. However, we are being as proactive as possible in ensuring that our guests’ needs are met, and that any future changes will be made with access being a priority.
We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement. If you have any queries please do call.
- We have a website, with much of this information listed
- Bookings / enquiries can be made via email or phone
- The nearest bus stop is in Winster village, which is 1.3 miles from the cottages
- The nearest train station is in Matlock 3.2 miles away; there are accessible taxis at the station
- We can arrange for shopping to be delivered on arrival
- We can provide information in large print on request.
Arrival and Car Parking Facilities
- There is ample parking for cars some 20m from the cottages
- The car park is on a slight incline and is made up of gravel
- The car park leads into the paved courtyard area which has paths leading to the front doors of the cottage the paths are 1 metre wide
- The courtyard and cottages are clearly visible from the car park.
- The entrance is at the front
- The door is 80cm wide and hinged from the left, the key hole lock is 95cm high
- There is a threshold of 7cm when entering the cottage
- Inside the front entrance is the Sitting / Dining area which leads to the stairs Also on the ground floor is the bathroom and kitchen both have a step down, which is a drop of 13cm
- The kitchen has an electric cooker with oven and separate grill, the bottom shelf of the oven is 23cm for the floor and the top shelf is 38cm the grill has a drop down door and the shelf is 69cm from the floor
- The work tops are 94cm high and have on them, the microwave, toaster, kettle and bread bin
- The sink is 94cm high and has mixer taps with cross ended handles
- The dishwasher is in the cupboard under the sink
- The bathroom has a sink 85cm from the floor a toilet which is 42m from the floor and the shower has a step into it which is 28cm high
- The staircase has a dog leg to the right and has 13 stairs. The stairs are 20cm high, 25cm deep, 78cm wide. They have a hand rail on the right hand side. This leads to the galleried bedroom, the King-size bed has access on both sides, there is a dressing table with mirror over and a stool 48cm high, next to the dressing table there is a mini chaise longue which is 37cm high
- French doors lead from the sitting area to a paved terrace the threshold is 13cm high, outside there is a table 75cm high, a parasol and 2 chairs 45cm high.
- The entrance at the front has 1 step – 5cm high, 40cm deep, 115cm wide
- The door is hinged from the left and is 80cm wide, the key hole lock is 90cm high
- There is a threshold of 7cm when entering the Cottage
- Inside the front entrance is the Sitting / dining area which leads to the stairs. Also on the ground floor is the bathroom and kitchen, the kitchen has a step up which is 25cm high
- The kitchen has an electric cooker with oven combined grill, the bottom shelf is 23cm for the floor and the top shelf is 38cm the door is a drop down design
- The work tops are 90cm high and have on them, the microwave, toaster, kettle, can opener and bread bin
- The sink is 90cm high and has mixer taps with cross ended handles
- The dishwasher is in the recess next to the sink
- The bathroom has a sink 86cm from the floor, a toilet which is 43cm from the floor and the shower is a walk in design with grab rail to the left 85cm from the ground
- The staircase is straight up and has 13 stairs. The stairs are 20.1cm high, 25cm deep, 75cm wide and are carpeted. They have a hand rail on the left hand side
- Both bedrooms have double beds and have access from both sides, bed heights are 35 and 38cm, both have bedroom chairs (no arms) 45cm high and chests of draws, the top draw being 76cm high
- A French door leads out on to the terrace which has a threshold of 7cm the terrace is decked, on the terrace is a table, 78cm high, parasol, bench and 4 chairs which are 45cm high.
- The entrance is at the front
- The door is 80cm wide and hinged from the right, the key hole lock is 106cm high
There is a threshold of 7cm when entering the cottage
- Inside the front entrance is the sitting/dining area which leads to the stairs
- Also on the ground floor is the bathroom
- The kitchen has an electric cooker with oven and separate grill, the bottom shelf of the oven is 33cm for the floor and the top shelf is 38cm the grill has a drop down door and the shelf is 69cm from the floor
- The work tops are 92cm high and have on them, the microwave, toaster, kettle and bread bin
- The sink is 92cm high and has mixer taps with cross ended handles
- The dishwasher is next to the sink
- The bathroom has a sink 86cm from the floor a toilet which is 46 cm from the floor and the shower is a walk in with grab rail to the right 85cm from the floor
- The staircase has a dog leg to the left and has 13 stairs. The stairs are 20cm high, 27cm deep, 79cm wide. They have a hand rail on the left hand side. This leads to the Landing with 2 bedrooms off
- Double bedroom has a double bed 50cm high with access from both sides
- The twin room has 2 beds 53cm high with access from all sides
- Also on this floor is the second shower room with a sink 85cm from the floor a toilet which is 42m from the floor and the shower has a step into it which is 28cm high
- Down stairs French doors lead from the sitting area to a decked terrace the threshold is 5cm high, outside there is a table 75cm high, a parasol and 4 chairs 45cm high.
Public Area – Utility Barn
- The utility barn is across the courtyard next to the car park, the door is 80cm wide and has a threshold of 3cm
- Décor is contrasting with skirting and doors (dark skirting and light walls) floor tiles are cream
- The freezer is floor mounted and opens from the left
- The washing machine is front loading
- The tumble dryer is front loading
- The video and DVD library is on the counter top, the bottom shelf is 90 cm from the floor and the top shelf is 180cm from the floor
- Inventory of videos and DVDs is available in large print.
- Non feather duvets and pillows are provided
- Sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases are high grade cotton percale
- Largest transfer space available to left or right of bed is 1.3m
- Beds are movable if more space is required to one side, please just ask
- Largest free space clear of doors and furniture is 120cm by 190cm
- Bedroom chairs are provided in all rooms and are 48 cm high with no arms
- Window locks are fitted to all upstairs windows.
- All kettles are cordless
- Crockery is of contrasting colour to table linen
- All preparation areas have additional task lighting
- Non-slip crockery mats are available on request
- Specially adapted cutlery, jar and can openers etc are also available
- Blenders and juicers are also available for those requiring a modified diet.
- Information folder is produced in size 16 font also black on yellow[singlepic id=7 w=320 h=240 float=right]
- Good mobile phone reception with the exception of the Orange network
- Evacuation of cottages is led by the owner, please inform on arrival of individual requirements in case of evacuation. Please let the owner know if you are unlikely to hear the fire alarm – a visual or vibrating indicator is available on request
- The cottages are all no smoking
- Service dogs are welcome – please inform us on booking
- Our televisions all have Teletext, Ceefax, and subtitles
- Angle poise lamps available
- We work with Peak Equipment Hire for the hire of specialist equipment including shower seats, wheelchairs, hoists etc.
- It is our policy to always offer ALL our guests assistance with their luggage both on arrival and departure.
- Address: Blakelow Farm, Bonsall Lane, Winster, Matlock Derbyshire DE4 2PD
- Telephone: 01629 650814
- Email: enquiry (at) blakelowcottages.co.uk (edited to minimise SPAM)
- Website: www.blakelowcottages.co.uk
- Hours of operation: Phones – 9.00am-7.30pm all week
- Local equipment hire companies: please ask us for details.
- Any alterations we undertake we will ensure that accessibility is given priority
- We are redesigning our website and will provide all information in alternative formats.
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve, if you have any comments please phone 01629 650814 or email enquiry (at) blakelowcottages.co.uk (edited to minimise SPAM).